Running

Running away
from age 3
when the door was open
and there was no one to watch me go
into the yard and parking lot i flew
into a store reaching for the candy bars
and making myself at home.
i was captured and put back in my place

I ran again on bike through the streets
of brooklyn to get away further
from the chaos and insanity
i rode the metal horse instinctively
putting distance between myself
and a screaming banshee who wanted
my soul on a platter and an eye for an eye


I ran again at 12 then 13 from home
school, placements, people
from cities to deserts from deserts
to mountains from mountains to oceans
from oceans to continents from country
to other nether worlds from myself
from God and everything i ever knew to be
a slash to my psyche


I ran from men from women
I ran from apartment to apartment
I ran in the night
I ran in the day
I ran in the heat
I ran in the freezing cold rain, snow
Sometimes I ran and rode.
I run daily in my mind
Keeping from thinking too much
I run from experiencing the pain
I run from hearing the noise
I run from my senses
to the safety of nothingness
nothing to hold me down
no one to curse me
no one to slam me
nothing to tether me
nothing to sway me
refuge when the fires are burning
and there's no where left
to run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart Palpitations - Severe Panic Attack

Heartbreak, Panic and Foreboding

Yeru-Shalayim