The Cup of Measurement

The Talmud says that a person can be evaluated by three types of measures: (in Hebrew) kees, kos, kaas, - his pocket kees), his glass or cup (kos) and his anger (kaas).

I will take my kos for now. My glass - or cup.

I have a variety of glasses and cups. About 5. They are what is left after many breaking. Three match, they are clear glass with handles. Resistant to heat. One is a large white bowl-like ceramic coffee mug. One is a tall peach colored mug. I try to keep them as clean as possible. The one I use the most is the peach. It can get stained with coffee and tea, requires more scrubbing and the ocassional soak in bleach. Then it sparkles. I have one small shot glass that was hidden for a while. I got it a thrift shop. I use it for kiddush when I remember. I still have yet to get a normal kiddush cup. This particular shot glass has little nicks cut into it as flower decorations up its side. It looks fragile, but it is rather sturdy. All have been used for remedies throughout this time that I am here. And there don't seem to be enough to hold all of them right now. Still, I am mindful of their use and am rather strident in keeping them washed and overturned to dry.

What do my cups say about me?
Variety, color, shape, feel, decoration, functionality combined with the quest for spirituality. They are used for nourishment, sedation and hold hopes and intentions of healing. No cracks. If one were to fall and break, that is that then, swept up, thrown out shards, never looking back in remorse. It is what it is. Vessels to contain. Sometimes vessels shatter. That is the way things are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart Palpitations - Severe Panic Attack

Heartbreak, Panic and Foreboding

Yeru-Shalayim